The Wildlife Society is currently accepting applications for its Leadership Institute. Deadline: April 1, 2013.
The Institute’s goal is to facilitate development of new leaders within TWS and the wildlife profession. The Institute will recruit 10-15 promising early-career professionals for a series of intensive activities and mentoring relationships. The focus will be on exposing participants to the inner workings of TWS and increasing the number of active leaders in TWS and the wildlife profession.
From May to October, participants will engage in a series of activities to develop and expand their leadership skills. Institute members will also attend the TWS Annual Conference and participate in various activities, including mentoring and leadership workshop sessions. The Institute is free, and participants will receive free registration and a travel grant for the conference.
Participation in the Institute is geared towards early-career professionals, individuals two to three years out of school (either undergraduate or graduate school), currently working full-time in a wildlife professional position, and with demonstrated evidence of their leadership potential. A small number of slots may also be available for more recent graduates who have shown strong evidence of their leadership potential or for those who are working while concurrently pursuing a graduate degree.
All applicants must be members of TWS and a chapter or section of TWS.
The selection committee will be seeking to create a diverse group, with participants of varying gender, ethnic, and regional diversity.
Selection will be based upon:
- An excellent academic record
- Demonstrated leadership capability or potential
- Demonstrated level of excellence in current position
- Commitment to and involvement in TWS
Preference will be given to individuals who are certified as Associate Wildlife Biologists® or Certified Wildlife Biologists®, or who have submitted such an application to TWS.
Applicants must submit the following materials:
- Online Application;
- Cover letter with evidence of leadership capacity or potential, such as previous leadership positions held in TWS chapters or student chapters or in other organizations;
- Resume including a list of publications, awards, etc.;
- Academic transcripts (scanned copy);
- Two letters of recommendation from supervisors, academic advisors, professors, or others in leadership positions with whom you have worked and who are familiar with your leadership potential, commitment to TWS, and commitment to wildlife management and conservation; letters should be emailed directly from the individual makign the recommendation to Laura Bies at email@example.com, subject line “Leadership Institute Recommendation for [applicant last name]”;
- An essay (1000 word limit), which succinctly summarizes (1) your concept of leadership, (2) your aspiration for your role within TWS in 5 to 10 years, and (3) why you are an ideal candidate for the Institute.
Email all materials (except the online application form and recommendation letters) in one PDF to Laura Bies at firstname.lastname@example.org.